Friday 21 September 2012

Finalising Food

I'm sorry I've been absent for a while and in the last couple of days I've tried to make up for it and get the posts up I've been planning for a while.
I have had a difficult couple of weeks that have been full of sadness due to the loss of my Nain (Nan in welsh) and has also meant I have had lots of travelling.
While this has been a difficult time, I have had a lot of support and so, for me, this isn't the place to process my loss.

So today I want to think about something more positive - food for the wedding!

Family Favorites: Christmas Roast, Hot Cross Buns, Birthday cake & BBQ

Food is a really important part of a wedding. I think I would go as far to say that, other than having a church ceremony, food is the MOST important element of the day for me. Food plays a big role in my life, when I get together with family a meal is normally the center of the occassion; our favourites are probably a BBQ or a Sunday tea (cold meats, hard boiled eggs etc all followed by cake and jelly/trifle) and I turn to food at sad times of when I'm feeling ill.

Both BH and I are foodies, we'd rather go out less often and eat at independent places when the menu's ever changing and ingredients sourced locally, we both enjoy cooking (tho BH to a lesser extent) and enjoy a good meal.

Love of food: Toad-in-the-whole, a traditional Turkish chicken dish from Selcuk
orange sponges for valentines and 3 cheese & broccoli quiche . Apart from Turkish chicken, all cooked by me!

For our wedding we were looking for a menu of classic, British winter warmers.
The whole day has a cosy rustic feel and we want this continued in what we eat, but we also wanted to be careful that we don't weigh our guests down with lots of heavy food.

Before the food tasting we were both a little a nervous, we had chosen the Guildhall based on the beautiful building and friendly staff; I have been to a wedding there but it was over 4 years ago and as it is council owned, we weren't sure about the quality of the food.

Winter Warmers: All images from BBC Good Food
Shepherds Pie, Roast Beef, Stew,
 Bread & Butter pudding, Welsh Rarebit and Apple Pie.

All of our concerns were hogwash! Nigel the Chef is amazing!
We tried 3 soups & 2 pate for starters, 2 mains (one came in both Goats & 'normal' cheese options) and 3 puddings. Everything we tried was amazing. not only delicious but well presented and we really felt that they had gone out of their way for us.
We had asked to try a 3rd main, but due to a mix up we weren't able to, however we were told where we could source the main item and my mum then purchased and sent us the item for us to cook up and test at home a couple of days later.

We really would have been happy to have any of the options we tried, however after talking through everything we tasted, our desire for a classic meal and also wanting our guests to have essentially the same meal while offering variation for those with dietary needs, we came to a conclusion and have now emailed to conform/order our wedding breakfast.

I can reveal that the starter will be soup and I will share the other details after the day.

TTFN ~ Kate xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment