Thursday 20 September 2012

4 Somethings

Most English/British Brides know the rhyme:
'Something Old, Something New,
Something Borrow, Something Blue
And a sixpence in my shoe'

Being a traditionalist at heart, I really wanted to make sure I met the 'somethings' criteria, and I wanted to do it so I had an item (or items) to cover each point. The Knot suggests these are tokens given at the last minute by close female relatives, however most Brides I know have pre-planned the items.

Something Borrowed
I know the logical thing would be to cover this in order, but my something borrowed is my most important item and I want to explain why it is borrowed and not old.

My parents on their wedding day
Meaning: by carrying/wearing something borrowed from a happily married woman you are hoping that their good fortune and long lasting, happy marriage will be carried into your future.

I cannot find the link, but I read somewhere that a good item to borrow is a veil, as this was the item to keep evil spirits from the bride.
 I really liked this idea so set about asking the women i am close to about their veils. Getting married within 4 years of each other my Mum, future MiL and Auntie all had some sort of late 70s/80s Juliet cap - while this look is going through a revival, it does not fit with the simple, classic feel I'm aiming for.
I am still considering a veil and to read more thoughts on this,                                                        please see my previous post.
Silver coin purse


Instead I have selected to carry a silver coin purse. I have no idea how old this coin purse is, but I do know it has been carried by my Great Grandma, my Grandma, Mum, Auntie and sister at their weddings. All have happy marriages that are an example to me of what it takes to make a relationship work and all are important women to me. My Ma & Pops have been together 58 years, some of that good fortune would be welcome in our future!



Something Old

Meaning: By Carrying something old a Bride is carrying continuity to the past and the family she is 'leaving'

I have a sting of Baby Pearls, they are a short necklace of small beads that I was given on my 1st Birthday from my Mum & Dad, they had previously been my Mum's and were given to her on her 1st Birthday also.
They date from the late 50s/early 60s and are the oldest piece of jewellery I own.
I can't wear them as they are too short for a necklace and too long for a bracelet, but I am looking at options for how I can incorporate them into my day.

Something New

Meaning: Looking forward with optimism for the future

Brides today will wear many new things on their wedding day and I have been mulling over what i should count as this item. My shoes will have been broken in. My dress will only be worn on the day, and I want my 'something' to be something I wear/use during our marriage. My Jellewery was a 21st present (see up-coming post on Dotty Vintage Weddings).
However I have been told that someone will be getting me earring to match my pearls, I don't know when I will get these (there's still Christmas and my Birthday before the wedding), but if I don't wear them until the day, they will be brand new and something I will use for years to come
Blue bead as
part of hair piece

Something Blue

Meaning: Blue in British tradition represents love, fidelity and purity. Other colours carry the same meaning around the world, tho I do wonder if this was put in place so it rhymed.

I have chosen to make some items for my hair and incorporated into one of these are 2 blue Swarovski crystals.

TTFN ~ Kate xx

No comments:

Post a Comment