Saturday 28 April 2012

Now for a theme...

Less than 9 months until our big day and by now most brides (and grooms) will have pinned down the colours and perhaps a theme for their wedding.

Choosing January had left me with some (self made) difficulties. Deliberately going the other side of the New Year to avoid a Christmas wedding, I also wanted to avoid the 'traditional' winter colour of red. I also feel that choosing all but the palest pastels is fighting against the season and if you wanted a pretty floral day then you should choose the summer or spring.

I have come up with three possible colour schemes/themes - tell me what you think.

Cadbury Purple & Chocolate Brown

A theme to feed into my VERY sweet tooth - dark and rich offer a warming environment to a cold winters day, whilst still complimenting both a cosy church & the Guildhall.


What a simple excuse to have chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate at my wedding..
The deep rich purple is such a beautiful colour and with the brown would bring warmth to the cold January weather.
Through ribbons and painted hearts it would be easy to create decorations, without relying on expensive flowers. Invites could be sent with a Dairy Milk mini for each guest and of course a chocolate/candy bar, or even a hot chocolate bar with a selection of syrups and toppings.
Around Christmas it is a popular colour so last minute detail could be purchased in the sales, including tealight holders, tree decorations and fairylights.

Adult Bridesmaids could wear elegant chocolate dresses with purple flowers, while the little bridesmaids and I could have purple sashes. The men are going to wear mourning suits (many own their own) but we could add brown or purple ties and a purple flower for a buttonhole.

We could make Blueberry Jam as favours and of course have a rich chocolate cake.

Rustic : Neutral Colours

Rather than fighting the sparse greenery we could go with it. Using lots of woods, neural colours such as creams, ivories and beige and then accent with greens or a shade of purple (as used in stationary).


A theme to completely escape from Christmas, taking inspiration from the bare trees I could have branches or willow to decorate the aisle and door ways. I could use ever green plants: some shrubs, fir trees and Ivy. I would still have some flowers, especially roses as I think they are beautiful and add something to a wedding, however a rustic theme would mean we could look at alternatives as flowers would be out of season.


A decorative feature would be to use texture rather than colour to give dimension to the day. From hammered card to wood/bark patterns and using lace or hessian. I could use different materials to tie as pew ends, make paper chains from old books or recycle glass jars as tealight holders.

 It could give me a chance to make candles a key feature of the design, rather than a complimenting element, instead of lots of flowers I could look at alternatives to create a special feel. Willow rings or disks of tree trunk could form table centres,

I like the idea of serving small sweet pies instead of canapes at a drinks reception after the service. Avoiding mince pies (which everyone will be sick of by then), we could opt for rhubarb, apple and Cinnamon or berries. These would go well with a warming tipple of ginger beer or Winter Pimms.

Classic White : with a few Snowflakes

Another idea where we use the season to shape the day - why not follow in the footsteps of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and opt for a classic white wedding, throwing in a little sparkle and winter wonder with snowflakes.


I love the idea of an elegant all white wedding, from flowers to bridesmaids dresses everything could be in tones of white, ivory and pale creams. The worry of ensuring everything is the correct shade of your chosen colour is removed and unlike the rustic look, you don't have to worry about things looking to shabby for a formal celebration.

To add a seasonal twist, while avoiding anything too Christmasy, I could use snowflakes and a bit of glitter and sparkle. Across the Internet there's some lovely hanging snowflake decorations. We could have shaped table confetti or punch our own. Snowflakes could decorate the stationary, perhaps by punching the shape, rather than sticking.
Following on from the rustic theme, we could have twigs painted white, maybe with a little glitter and fairylights to decorate the church & Guildhall. I would use soft white flowers, but would not add sparkles to these as my tastes would have simple arrangements, simply with blooms and greenery.

I love the idea of a cake with white snowflake shapes highlighted with iridescent, displayed with candles around the bottom (yes I know there has to be a good distance between flame & cake).
I love the idea of snowflake shaped biscuits, maybe they could be the favours, or part of a desert table with coconut ice, white chocolate fudge and lemon drizzle cake.

There are elements of each of these themes that I love.
Supplies I have around that I could use

In the process of writing this post I have realised that there are 3 things that I definitely want to work with ROSES are a flower that I would like to feature in the day, they are so beautiful, simple and symbolic.
I included CANDLES in some form in all mood boards and I think they would lift the day by adding warm and decoration.
Finally, SIMPLICITY - I want to be as hand on as possible and not rely on what I might be able to buy during the sales, but I also want whatever we do to have impact.


To stop me getting carried away and maxing the budget I am working to this 'rule' - The person I want to impress is myself, if I was a guest at this wedding how would I respond?

Do let me know your thoughts, what do you think would work?

TTFN ~ Kate xx




No comments:

Post a Comment