Sunday 1 April 2012

A 'Gold' Turn

The Table plan, Alphabetical list
and a table name

A couple of weeks ago my Better Half's work hosted a annual fundraiser (he works in politics), a Gala Dinner, that also was raising money for SportsAid. He asked me if I would mind designing and making a table plan and that the theme was Olympics.
Thinking it would be fun and would fill some of my time before I returned to work I agreed to help, and offered to do the names for the tables.

I decided to go for Gold, Silver and Brozne and the organising commitee had said that they would like the tables named after Olympic and Paralympic sports. So after a trip to trusted Hobbycraft for resources and a long search on the London 2012 website for games; I was given the shock of my life - this event was for 250 people with 24 tables (arrrrgggghhh.........). Meaning that alphabetical lists would be needed, as too many people to only have a table plan and their wouldn't be space on the board for both.
After lots of playing around I managed to fit all 24 circles on to the A1 board.

It was then on to the computer to design the cirlces for the table, the title pannel and the bits for the alphabetical list. Fortunately I discovered that putting a grey line on the design I was able to line up my guide for my Xcut Shape Cutting System so that the text was central.

After about 40 hours work and some drama as people kept dropping out and others trying to fill the empty spaces. I had an A1 table plan, 2 A2 Alphabetical lists and 24 table names with 3 facts about the sport on the reverse as an icebreaker.

The Table Plan: 24 tables &
the stage doubled up as the title


One of the Alphabetical Lists - the other had the gold &
silver backing swapped around


















 As there were a few empty seats, I was invited to join the event and so dug out my lovely bridesmaids dress from my sister's wedding (which I was just about able to squeeze into) and threw my hair into a messy bun.

With James' Gold Medal
from Sydney 2000

Not only was it a lovely meal but James Cracknell (phwoar!), Zac Purchase and Rachel Morris were there as guests of honour. I didn't get a chance to meet the rowers, but James was lovely enough to pass around his gold medals so we could all have a close look.
I spent some time with the lovely Rachel Morris, she is a hand cyclist and a wonderful and inspiring woman. If you haven't heard of her, please do look her up and don't forget to cheer her (and Zac) on this summer.

BH & I with the Olympic (Gold) and Paralympic (Silver) torches



And Finally....

I have managed to find some time to do some crafting and take some photos, watch my Facebook page for more info and to see my creations.

TTFN ~ Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment